On Dec 13, 2012, at 6:18 AM, Erik Cederstrand wrote:

> Den 13/12/2012 kl. 14.10 skrev David Chisnall <thera...@freebsd.org>:
>
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> The easiest way of doing this is to make /usr/bin/ld (in the host system and
>> in the bootstrap) into a symbolic link that points to whatever the selected
>> linker is.  I had to do this when testing gold as well (we end up with
>> ld-gold and ld-bfd and ld being a symlink to one of them).
>
> Yes, a symlink is of course an easy solution post-install. But 'ld' is built
> as part of 'make toolchain', I believe, so this approach wouldn't work if I
> wanted mclinker to be used as the linker in 'make buildworld'. The newly
> built 'ld' in /usr/obj/ would be used as the linker instead.

Install ld as ld.gnu during the build and after.  Make ld a small shell script
that invokes ld.gnu by default, or something else if a variable is set.  Much
like the way we have different mail backends to a common mail front end. Then
ld does what people want, and you have a hook to do different things.

Warner