On 6 Sep 2014, at 06:47, Garrett Cooper <yaneurab...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Makes sense. I'll do some poking around and see if things could potentially
> be optimized with the clang build. On beefy machines it's not a big deal, but
> as we know on machines without a ton of memory or SSDs, it can become
> painful, as expected.

The build system for clang-in-base has improved a bit so, as you say, it is now
reasonably fast on beefy machines (release clang build with the upstream build
system takes 2-3 minutes on a fast machine, about 10 on my laptop, the one in
buildworld isn't quite as good at extracting parallelism).  On slow machines,
it can be quite painful.

The correct solution to this problem is likely to be to start creating
bootstrap-toolchain packages.  This is also likely to be necessary for
architectures like MIPS and PowerPC before 11 anyway, because the host compiler
doesn't have the C++11 support required for bootstrapping a newer LLVM and
clang.  We can work around that quite easily if we have package for the
bootstrap toolchain (possibly cross-compiled from an x86 machine).

David