On 17 January 2017 at 18:06, Ngie Cooper (yaneurabeya)
<yaneurab...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ed,
>         I tried running elfdump on a .a archive and it seems that elfdump
> doesn’t support this (whereas objdump does). Is this expected?

Indeed it does not. We're still using FreeBSD's original elfdump. The
ELF Tool Chain project (which provides the objcopy, size, strings etc.
that we use) also imported FreeBSD's elfdump and made some
enhancements, including the ability to handle .a files.

Unfortunately there are a few changes which exist in FreeBSD's elfdump
but not ELF Tool Chain's version. We need to port those from FreeBSD
to ELF Tool Chain before we can migrate to ELF Tool Chain's elfdump.