I've switched to using devel/xtoolchain-llvm70 yesterday to build amd64
base starting with r338990, and among other issues, ld.lld70 refuses to
link the kernel:

Building /usr/local/obj/usr/local/src/amd64.amd64/sys/ARDMORE/kernel.full
--- kernel.full ---
linking kernel.full
ld.lld: error: unknown -z value: common-page-size=4096
ld.lld: error: unknown -z value: ifunc-noplt
*** [kernel.full] Error code 1

make[2]: stopped in /usr/local/obj/usr/local/src/amd64.amd64/sys/ARDMORE

(ARDMORE is basically GENERIC-NODEBUG, not that it matters)

The ifunc-noplt is a known issue, it obviously didn't make it upstream
in time for LLVM 7.0.0, and thus we carry the feature downstream.

The crux of this link error though, emaste@ quipped in PR 230604 that
LLD prior to 7.0.0 accepted but ignored unknown options, but now at
least 7.0.0 disallows unknown options entirely. Which brings up the -z
common-page-size=4096: has LLD been ignoring this part the whole time,
and is it of any meaningful use anymore (it seemed to mean something
with bfd)?

--
Charlie Li
Can't think of a witty .sigline today…