Quoting "Kris Kennaway" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (from Fri, 22 Aug 2008 10:59:38 +0200):

Alexander Leidinger wrote:
Quoting "M. Warner Losh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (from Thu, 21 Aug 2008 11:52:10 -0600 (MDT)):

In message: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
           Kris Kennaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
: Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

: > The USB stack will work fine without "usbconfig". Its purpose is : > mostly to : > view the currently attached USB devices, where the USB devices : > are located
: > and to select a non-default USB configuration. One thing which might be
: > missed is to change owner and permission of a USB device, which means you : > must be either UID=root or GID=OPERATOR to be able to use USB : > devices that
: > create devices under /dev/ .
:
: OK great, this isn't critical either.  I think all of the issues I
: raised are agreed upon now!

Wait a moment. Does this mean the devfs stuff to handle the access rights (devfs.rules or manual chown/chmod by root) does not work with the new usb stuff? If the answer is yes, I would see this as some kind of nasty bug (I don't think this shall be a showstopper, as long as this is fixed later).

Yes, he said it will be fixed later.

You are aware that I point out that this may or may not suggest that HPS is circumventing the normal devfs infrastructure and that this may or may not be a problem and should be reviewed by someone with knowledge about the devfs infrastructure?

And as he mentioned that in the context of the userland utilities, it may be interesting if this means if an USB specific userland utility will be responsible to change the ownership and file access or not. If yes, what are the consequences from a security point of view and what about POLA (devfs.rules, chown/chmod)?

I want to see this new USB subsystem, but if the answer to the above paragraph is yes, then this would be a showstopper for me (IMO the replacement should work in this regard as before, I don't say it can not be changed after enough people agree that the replacement was successful).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Such a fine first dream!