The following reply was made to PR usb/137341; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Hans Petter Selasky <hsela...@c2i.net>
To: freebsd-gnats-sub...@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: usb/137341: driver if_rum doesn't work at all and throws panics
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 20:57:41 +0200

 On Monday 10 August 2009 20:50:04 O.Herold wrote:
 > The following reply was made to PR usb/137341; it has been noted by GNATS.
 >
 > From: "O.Herold" <oli...@akephalos.de>
 > To: bug-follo...@freebsd.org, oli...@akephalos.de
 > Subject: Re: usb/137341: driver if_rum doesn't work at all and throws
 >  panics
 > Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 20:48:26 +0200
 >
 >  Well I cannot provide anything anymore because too many panics destroyed
 >  my slice. Well after much grief I installed just out of curiosity FBSD
 >  7.2R and guess what? Apart from some performance drops it works like a
 >  charm. I restarted the network several times without any problems, I just
 >  pulled the stick from the usb port within some data transfers etc. - no
 >  panic :-)
 >
 >  FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE #0: Fri May 1 07:18:07 UTC 2009
 >  r...@driscoll.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
 >
 >  In my opinion the new usb stack isn't ready for prime time or FreeBSD 8
 >  release should wait until it's fixed - maybe March 2009. I do know such
 >  up- and downturn in Linux only ... until today.

 Hi,

 I will try to reproduce if I get a chance.

 Most likely what you are seeing is not an USB issue, but rather a WLAN issue.
 I've seen something similar, that if you issue the network interface commands
 too quickly then the WLAN code will panic. Putting a sleep 1 in between the
 commands is a temporary solution.

 --HPS