>> Donald Allen <donaldcal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 8:01 AM, Hans Petter Selasky <hsela...@c2i.net>wrote:
>
>> On Sunday 26 September 2010 13:51:14 Donald Allen wrote:
>> > I am running 8.1 RELEASE on a Thinkpad X61. I have a wired Microsoft usb
>> > mouse plugged into it. I have hal and dbus running, and when I start X,
>> > everything is fine. However, if I shut down the X server and restart it
>> > (via startx), the mouse no longer works, but the laptop's trackpoint
>> > device does work. If I unplug and re-plug the mouse, it now works. Again,
>> > as with my report on the usb disks, neither Linux nor OpenBSD exhibit
>> this
>> > behavior on this hardware.

I am quite happy with X server compiled WITHOUT_HAL=true. While I can't
hotplug my USB mouse (I am using a Sony Vaio laptop with internal
touchpad) the good thing is that once I plug it in before X server
starts I can freely unplug and re-plug it again as necessary.

Can you try that to figure out wheter it's really a HAL issue
as suggested by HPS?

//Marcin