On Sun, 30 Jan 2011, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

On Sunday 30 January 2011 01:32:01 Peter Jeremy wrote:
I recently acquired a TI LaunchPad[1] and want to use FreeBSD as my
development enviroment (for anyone else who is interested in this, at
some stage I intend to post my experiences with the various ports to
-ports or feel free to contact me off-list).  It provides a FET430UIF
USB interface to the host computer and some googling shows that this
is a Communication Device Class (CDC), Abstract Control Model (ACM)
sub-class which is supported in Linux via the cdc_acm driver.

On FreeBSD 8.1, umodem(4) reports:
 ugen0.2: <Texas Instruments> at usbus0
 umodem0: <MSP430 Application UART> on usbus0
 umodem0: data interface 0, has no CM over data, has no break
and creates /dev/ttyU0 (and friends) but mspdebug reports that it
cannot access the UIF (so it is presumably talking to the device
UART, rather than the control interface).

There is a patch pending for allowing a CDC modem interface not having the
correct descriptors to work. It is not yet committed. You could try adding the
VID+PID to u3g.c. Basically, your modem should have worked, given that the
manufacturer had followed the specs. Another alternative is to use LibUSB.

The prerelease MacOSX driver might be useful as an example:
http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/MSP430_LaunchPad_Mac_OS_X