----- Original Message ----- From: "Torfinn Ingolfsen" <torfinn.ingolf...@broadpark.no>
To: <freebsd-usb@FreeBSD.org>
Sent: Sunday, May 08, 2011 6:56 PM
Subject: Re: Relay controller

On Sun, 08 May 2011 14:59:24 +0100
Clayton Milos <c...@milos.co.za> wrote:

Hi there

I'm looking for any help out there. I have a USB relay controller that
should be seen as a modem. I think there was something similar working
before under FreeBSD called a PICKit. When I look up the error I'm getting
it points to this kit. The vendor ID seems to be the same.

The chip on the controller I have is a PIC18F24 J50.

When I plug it in on a FreeBSD8.2 AMD64 release I get the following:
root: Unknown USB device: vendor 0x04d8 product 0x000a bus uhub2
kernel: ugen2.2: <Microchip Technology Inc.> at usbus2

# usbconfig list
ugen2.2: <CDC RS-232 Emulation Demo Microchip Technology Inc.> at usbus2,
cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON

That could be a CDCE device (communication class - ethernet). See cdce(4) man page.
Try to load the if_cdce kernel module, then plug in your device.
If that doen'st work, I'æm out of ideas.
--
Torfinn

Thanks Torfinn but that didn't work. It stil ldid not pick the device up.
In Linux it picks it up as a modem and from what I've read up on the internet you connect to the virtual serial port to control the relays.

Clay