On Wed, 18 May 2011, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

On Tuesday 17 May 2011 18:19:25 Christopher Hilton wrote:
On May 17, 2011, at 5:18 AM, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
Hi,

If you run 8-stable, there is some information you can lookup via sysctls
of the USB devices, which tells you which port belongs to which device.

Use the serial number to identify your device, if your device has such a
value.

usbconfig -d X.Y dump_device_desc

Are you suggesting that one could use this information to config devd and
perhaps automatically create a link to the correct port at USB attach
time? I ask because I anticipate having to deal with this situation in the
future.

Yes, I think that is the idea. Currently this functionality is only introduced
in 8-stable and 9-current.

If the serial number is available to devd, it might be possible to do that already. On attach, create a specially-named link to the device depending on the serial number.