>Number:         161798
>Category:       usb
>Synopsis:       usbdevs / if_run.c modification
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Priority:       low
>Responsible:    freebsd-usb
>State:          open
>Quarter:        
>Keywords:       
>Date-Required:
>Class:          change-request
>Submitter-Id:   current-users
>Arrival-Date:   Wed Oct 19 08:00:22 UTC 2011
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Zahemszky, Gábor
>Release:        8.2-p3 i386
>Organization:
Zahemszky Ltd.
>Environment:
FreeBSD Lappantyu.Zahemszky.hu 8.2-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p3 #0: Tue 
Sep 27 18:07:27 UTC 2011     
r...@i386-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

>Description:
I bought a wlan adapter for my TV.
I tried it under FreeBSD, but it couldn't recognise it.
So I made my homework, and here is the output.

It is a "Samsung WIS09ABGN Wireless LAN Adapter".
It has Ralink chipset in it, so the if_run and runfw
drivers should work with it.

Here is the info and the usbconfig outputs:



Name: Samsung Wireless LAN Adapter WIS09ABGN (for selected 2009-2011 models of 
Samsung TVs & Blu-Ray Players)
Model: WIS09ABGN
Model Code: WIS09ABGNX/XEC

it should work - and it works! - with the if_run & runfw drivers

# usbconfig -d 2.2 dump_device_desc
ugen2.2: <802.11 n WLAN Ralink> at usbus2, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) 
pwr=ON

  bLength = 0x0012
  bDescriptorType = 0x0001
  bcdUSB = 0x0200
  bDeviceClass = 0x0000
  bDeviceSubClass = 0x0000
  bDeviceProtocol = 0x0000
  bMaxPacketSize0 = 0x0040
  idVendor = 0x04e8
  idProduct = 0x2018
  bcdDevice = 0x0101
  iManufacturer = 0x0001  <Ralink>
  iProduct = 0x0002  <802.11 n WLAN>
  iSerialNumber = 0x0003  <1.0>
  bNumConfigurations = 0x0001

# usbconfig -d 2.2 dump_all_config_desc
ugen2.2: <802.11 n WLAN Ralink> at usbus2, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) 
pwr=ON


 Configuration index 0

    bLength = 0x0009
    bDescriptorType = 0x0002
    wTotalLength = 0x0035
    bNumInterfaces = 0x0001
    bConfigurationValue = 0x0001
    iConfiguration = 0x0000  <no string>
    bmAttributes = 0x0080
    bMaxPower = 0x00e1

    Interface 0
      bLength = 0x0009
      bDescriptorType = 0x0004
      bInterfaceNumber = 0x0000
      bAlternateSetting = 0x0000
      bNumEndpoints = 0x0005
      bInterfaceClass = 0x00ff
      bInterfaceSubClass = 0x00ff
      bInterfaceProtocol = 0x00ff
      iInterface = 0x0005  <1.0>

     Endpoint 0
        bLength = 0x0007
        bDescriptorType = 0x0005
        bEndpointAddress = 0x0081  <IN>
        bmAttributes = 0x0002  <BULK>
        wMaxPacketSize = 0x0200
        bInterval = 0x0000
        bRefresh = 0x0000
        bSynchAddress = 0x0000

     Endpoint 1
        bLength = 0x0007
        bDescriptorType = 0x0005
        bEndpointAddress = 0x0001  <OUT>
        bmAttributes = 0x0002  <BULK>
        wMaxPacketSize = 0x0200
        bInterval = 0x0000
        bRefresh = 0x0000
        bSynchAddress = 0x0000

     Endpoint 2
        bLength = 0x0007
        bDescriptorType = 0x0005
        bEndpointAddress = 0x0002  <OUT>
        bmAttributes = 0x0002  <BULK>
        wMaxPacketSize = 0x0200
        bInterval = 0x0000
        bRefresh = 0x0000
        bSynchAddress = 0x0000

     Endpoint 3
        bLength = 0x0007
        bDescriptorType = 0x0005
        bEndpointAddress = 0x0003  <OUT>
        bmAttributes = 0x0002  <BULK>
        wMaxPacketSize = 0x0200
        bInterval = 0x0000
        bRefresh = 0x0000
        bSynchAddress = 0x0000

     Endpoint 4
        bLength = 0x0007
        bDescriptorType = 0x0005
        bEndpointAddress = 0x0004  <OUT>
        bmAttributes = 0x0002  <BULK>
        wMaxPacketSize = 0x0200
        bInterval = 0x0000
        bRefresh = 0x0000
        bSynchAddress = 0x0000

===
This output is with the original if_run and runfw modules.
After it, I made two small changes in the src:

a) added the device info into /usr/src/sys/dev/usb/usbdevs file:

product SAMSUNG WIS09ABGN       0x2018  WIS09ABGN Wireless LAN adapter

b) and added it to the known list of HWs in the 
/usr/src/sys/dev/usb/wlan/if_run.c file:

    RUN_DEV(SAMSUNG,            WIS09ABGN),


unloading the original module, generating the new (with

cd /usrs/src/sys/modules/usb/run
make

commands) and loading it with:

kldload runfw
kldload ./if_run.ko

and voila, the system has a new run0 interface. After it, created the wlan0 
interface, started wpa_supplicant and dhclient, and I have a working wifi 
connection.

usbconfig -d 2.2 - with the "modified" driver

ugen2.2: <802.11 n WLAN Ralink> at usbus2, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) 
pwr=ON

It is on FreeBSD 8.2-p3 i386.
>How-To-Repeat:
Buy a Samsung-TV wifi dongle, and try it under FreeBSD.
>Fix:
Put the

product SAMSUNG WIS09ABGN       0x2018  WIS09ABGN Wireless LAN adapter

line into usbdevs, and the

    RUN_DEV(SAMSUNG,            WIS09ABGN),

line into if_run.c. After it, it should work.

>Release-Note:
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:
_______________________________________________
freebsd-usb@freebsd.org mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-usb
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-usb-unsubscr...@freebsd.org"

Reply via email to