Long story short, I'm running into 'Device not configured' errors
while trying to use libusbhid to control a Griffin radioSHARK.  I'm
not sure what I'm doing wrong or what to try next and am hoping that
someone can help me get going again.  There are links to various
diagnostic material near the end of this message.

I've been trying to make a Griffin radioSHARK USB AM/FM radio work.
My long term goal is to use it from within the Squeezebox world but it
has become something of a challenge in its own right.

I was initially working on a Mac OS X system (to avoid building a
recent Logitech Media Server [LMS, new name for the squeezebox server
software] on my FreeBSD 9 system until later).  There is an LMS plugin
for the radioSHARK which uses an small C program called shark2 to set
frequencies etc...  Shark2 did not work on OS X 10.6, and after much
gnashing of teeth and digging through the libhid and libusb world I
finally found out that it can't be made to work (Apple's USB drivers
grab the device exclusively and the pre OS X 10.6 trick of using a
kext to protect it no longer works).  The authors of libusb
recommended using a library called hidapi.  I got that working and
discovered that the bytes that shark2 sends down the usb connection
don't work on my device (possibly because I have a radioSHARK v1).  A
bit more googling and I found some old notes in Japanese that
described the protocol (Google translate to the rescue, more or
less...) and I am now able to turn the LEDs on and off and tune to FM
and AM (crappy reception) at will.  So, I've convinced myself that I
have a sufficient understanding of how the thing works.

On to FreeBSD.

When I plug the device into my 9.0-STABLE system it seems to be
recognized:

  ugen1.2: <Griffin Technology, Inc.> at usbus1
  uaudio0: <Griffin Technology, Inc. RadioSHARK, class 0/0, rev 1.10/0.01, addr 
2> on usbus1
  uaudio0: No playback!
  uaudio0: Record: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, 16-bit S-LE PCM format
  uaudio0: No midi sequencer
  pcm1: <USB audio> on uaudio0
  uhid0: <Griffin Technology, Inc. RadioSHARK, class 0/0, rev 1.10/0.01, addr 
2> on

And I can do the cheap and easy test of

  > cat /dev/dsp1.0 > /dev/dsp0.1

and listen to what ever channel it happens to be set to.  The mixer
command let me set the volume with "-f mixer1" and I was very hopeful.

It seemed like I should be able to recreate my OS X/hidapi version
using FreeBSD libusbhid.  The meat of the hidapi version is a call to
hid_write, which in turn does the following call into the OS X
libraries.

  set_report(dev, kIOHIDReportTypeOutput, data, length);

which seems to map straightforwardly to something like this (cribbed
from various things in /usr/src):

  hid_init(NULL);
  f = open("/dev/uhid0", O_RDWR);
  if (f < 0)
    err(1, "%s", "/dev/uhid0");

  // red LED
  memset(buf, 0x00, sizeof(buf));
  buf[0] = 0xA9;                /* red on */
  r = hid_set_report(f, hid_output, buf, 7);
  if (r != 0)
    warn("hid_set_report");

But it consistently tells me 

  > sudo ./shark
  shark: hid_set_report: Device not configured

A bit of poking around led me to [blindly] try usbhidctl and to
discover that it also runs into 'Device not configured' errors.

   > sudo usbhidctl -f /dev/uhid0 -v -a
   Password:
   usbhidctl: hid_get_report(rid 0): Device not configured
   Got input report 0 (6 bytes):
   Consumer:Consumer_Control.Consumer:Consumer_Control=
   Consumer:Consumer_Control.Consumer:Consumer_Control=
   Consumer:Consumer_Control.Consumer:Consumer_Control=
   Consumer:Consumer_Control.Consumer:Consumer_Control=
   Consumer:Consumer_Control.Consumer:Consumer_Control=
   Consumer:Consumer_Control.Consumer:Consumer_Control=
   
   usbhidctl: hid_get_report(rid 0): Device not configured
   Got output report 0 (6 bytes):
   Consumer:Consumer_Control.Consumer:Consumer_Control=
   Consumer:Consumer_Control.Consumer:Consumer_Control=
   Consumer:Consumer_Control.Consumer:Consumer_Control=
   Consumer:Consumer_Control.Consumer:Consumer_Control=
   Consumer:Consumer_Control.Consumer:Consumer_Control=
   Consumer:Consumer_Control.Consumer:Consumer_Control=

I have output from setting hw.usb.uhid.debug=15 then plugging the
radioSHARK in here:

   http://shrimp.alerce.com/radioSHARK/usb-sysctl-output.txt

and the output from

   usbconfig -d ugen1.2 dump_device_desc dump_curr_config_desc

here:

   http://shrimp.alerce.com/radioSHARK/usbconfig-output.txt

And output from using usbdump while I tried to toggle the red led
on/off here:

   http://shrimp.alerce.com/radioSHARK/usbdump-output-red-off.txt
   http://shrimp.alerce.com/radioSHARK/usbdump-output-red-on.txt

I'm open to suggestions about what to try next.

Thanks (double if you've made it this far),

g.
_______________________________________________
freebsd-usb@freebsd.org mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-usb
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-usb-unsubscr...@freebsd.org"

Reply via email to