Yes, I built without snd_uaudio.ko.

In order to use the port audio/oss, I had to disable the sound.ko, so I had
to exclude it from the kernel, and add it as a module.

I agree, that snd_uaudio.ko brought improvements. I like it a lot. But
snd_hda.ko, which I use to listen to music make those scratchy sounds all
the time, where the music should be crystal clear.

I will try now with the GENERIC kernel, and the kernel without sound.ko,
and snd_hda.ko, but with snd_uaudio.ko enabled and see what will happen.

Jože