On 01/02/14 17:13, O. Hartmann wrote:

I got a simple USB slide film scanner (Medion MD 86774). This USB
attached scanner is supposed to work in Linux with v4l, recognized as a
camera device.

I'm running 11.0-CURRENT #3 r260189: Thu Jan  2 13:20:15 CET 2014
amd64, having installed ports graphics/sane-backends,

Attaching the scanner to the USB bus makes the kernel giving this

ugen7.6: <Salix Corp.> at usbus7

Issuing the command usbconfig as shown below reveals

usbconfig -u 7 -a 6 dump_device_desc
ugen7.6: <USB Scanner 5MP Salix Corp.> at usbus7, cfg=0 md=HOST
spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON (500mA)

   bLength = 0x0012
   bDescriptorType = 0x0001
   bcdUSB = 0x0200
   bDeviceClass = 0x00ef
   bDeviceSubClass = 0x0002
   bDeviceProtocol = 0x0001
   bMaxPacketSize0 = 0x0040
   idVendor = 0x115b
   idProduct = 0x3150
   bcdDevice = 0x0028
   iManufacturer = 0x0001  <Salix Corp.>
   iProduct = 0x0002  <USB Scanner 5MP>
   iSerialNumber = 0x0000  <no string>
   bNumConfigurations = 0x0001

Well, I'd like to do some experiments and I do not know where to start.
In /usr/local/etc/sane.d/ I created a new file called "medion.conf"

usb 0x115b  0x3150

to "fake" a supported device, but xsane doesn't recognize the device at

It may sound naiv, but can someone tell me how to use this scanner
device as a v4l device as it is recognized in Ubuntu 13 (kernel 3.2)?

Is there a "generic" way to provide essential informations to the SANE
backend for a new device?

Please CC me. I'm not subscribing the list.

Thanks in advance,

v4l devices are supported by /usr/ports/multimedia/webcamd.