On sob, lut 08, 2014 at 09:45:46 +0100, Juergen Lock wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 07, 2014 at 08:49:28PM +0000, Wojciech A. Koszek wrote:
> > On pi??, lut 07, 2014 at 09:12:08 +0100, Juergen Lock wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > >  This came up on irc so I tried to build a linux libusb port (before
> > > I learned about ports/146895), mine uses linux_base-gentoo-stage3
> > > like linux_kdump with a src/lib/libusb head snapshot so it's more
> > > up to date than wkoszek's build (ports/146895), and it's really
> > > easy to update it again.  Also maybe it can be used as linux
> > > libusb-1.0.so too; I didn't actually test it tho.
> > >
> > >  Should this be committed?  Is wkoszek's version better since it
> > > also builds on < 10.x?  Comments welcome...
> > >
> > >  wkoszek's version:
> > >
> > >   http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=146895
> > >
> > >  Mine:
> > >
> > >   http://people.freebsd.org/~nox/tmp/linux_libusb.shar
> > >
> > >  Distfile:
> > >

> > > http://people.freebsd.org/~nox/tmp/distfiles/linux_libusb-11.0r261448.tar.bz2
> > >
> > >  10/amd64 package:
> > >

> > > http://people.freebsd.org/~nox/tmp/packages/10amd64/linux_libusb-11.0r261448.txz
> > >
> > > (built via:
> > >
> > >   poudriere bulk -v -j 10amd64 -p custom devel/linux_libusb
> > >
> > > - btw for some reason the dependency emulators/linux_base-gentoo-stage3
> > > doesn't build for 10i386 in poudriere bulk, I get a pkg segfault.  bapt
> > > Cc'd...)
> > >

> > Juergen,
> Hi!
> >
> > What would be the reason for this update?
> >
> > My stuff may be out of date, but it was all tested and working. I verified
> > it with Linux'ish lsusb(1) and USB-based FPGA JTAG programmer, for which
> > this stuff was written.
> >
>  I was just thinking an updated version may be useful, but if it's
> already working for everyone maybe less so...
>
>  Or would it work as a linux libusb-1.0.so too?  I know the libusb 1.0
> stuff added some functions since 9.x at least... maybe hps would know
> (Cc'd.)

Juergen,

I think this package is useful and is looking for maintainer, so if you have
time and energy, I'm OK with upgrading it, but I suggest testing it first.
Bjoern might be interested too.

> > Can you show the diff between USB code from src/lib and from the distfile?
> >
>  That's just a checkout from head, see the port Makefile for how it's
> generated. (.if defined(BOOTSTRAP)...)
>
> > Instead of having a port with .c code, I'd drive towards having src/lib
> > changes (if any) be commited. And then that port only has to do:
> >
> >     cp -rf src/lib/libusb port/tmp/dir
> >
> > and build it with different -DDEFINES if necessary.
> >
>  That's what I orginally had but hps suggested I check out from head
> instead.  (Tho that was when I couldn't get it building at first, which
> turned out to be just a CFLAGS -I problem so the 10.0 code should now
> build this way as well.)

I guess it's the same stuff if the code is there with no modification. If we
could have this port checked in to the ports/ repository, this would be
great.  Basically I'd concentrate on delivering good end-user experience

Thanks for working on it. Lots of people will apprecite it.

--
Wojciech A. Koszek
wkos...@freebsd.czest.pl