On 09/19/14 18:18, Ross Penner wrote:
On Fri, 19 Sep 2014, at 09:01 AM, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
On 09/17/14 19:58, Ross Penner wrote:
The following is a discussion I had on the freebsd-questions list. I've
decided to take the route of buying an adapter that works on FreeBSD 10
Release but, on suggestion, I thought I would ask on these lists if
there was anywhere I could mail my useless (to me) adapter so support
could be added.

Hi,

The current CDCE ethernet driver does not support PHY's. The other
ethernet drivers, like if_axe, which does USB3.0 aswell, will get you a
PHY. Have a look at sys/dev/usb/net in the source tree.

Pardon my ignorance but what is PHY's?

For the sake of those searching in the future, I ended up buying a
TRENDnet TU2-ET100 and it is working fine. I didn't need the USB3.0 (or
actually even have a 3.0 port) but it's what I happened to have.

Hi,

A PHY/miibus is the external interface of an ethernet adapter typically. It is what tells you about the line-rate and various options like full duplex, simplex and so on.