On 04/07/15 15:30, Matthias Apitz wrote:

I'm using an Ubuntu smartphone connected on one of the USB ports to my
netbook as a router to the Internet. I wanted to power-off the USB port to
a) save energy in the netbook and
b) not having the phone always charged for the memory effect in the battery.

I tried:

$ usbconfig
ugen0.3: <AquarisE4.5 BQ> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON

# usbconfig -d ugen0.3 power_off
# usbconfig -d ugen0.3
ugen0.3: <AquarisE4.5 BQ> at usbus0, cfg=255 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=OFF

as you can see the state is now pwr=OFF, but in this state the USB port
is not longer usable. What is the correct way to shutdown the 5V
provided via USB to the device?

Not all USB ports support power off.