On 08/12/15 09:28, Anders Bolt-Evensen wrote:

On Aug 11, 2015, at 05:03 PM, Hans Petter Selasky <h...@selasky.org> wrote:

On 08/11/15 16:40, Anthony Jenkins via freebsd-usb wrote:

hid_is_mouse() is failing to tell that your Synaptics USB HID device is
a mouse, but /only/ when there's no other USB (HID) device on that USB
bus (usbus0). I suspect it has to do with the hid_get_item() warnings
about chopping stuff off. I can't tell from the source code for
hid_get_item() (a 313-line function) why it's behaving that way, or why
a totally different HID device (Logitech mouse) causes it to behave
differently for this HID device (Synaptics touchpad). I've added
freebsd-usb@ to see if they know what's going on.

ajenkins@kubuntu-ajenkins:~/Downloads$ grep usbus0
dmesg_with_external_usb.txt
usbus0: waiting for BIOS to give up control
usbus0 on xhci0
random: harvesting attach, 8 bytes (4 bits) from usbus0
usbus0: 5.0Gbps Super Speed USB v3.0
ugen0.1: <0x8086> at usbus0
uhub0: <0x8086 XHCI root HUB, class 9/0, rev 3.00/1.00, addr 1> on
usbus0
Root mount waiting for: usbus2 usbus1 usbus0
ugen0.2: <Logitech> at usbus0
ukbd0: <Logitech USB Receiver, class 0/0, rev 2.00/12.01, addr 1> on
usbus0
Root mount waiting for: usbus0
ugen0.3: <Generic> at usbus0
Root mount waiting for: usbus0
ugen0.4: <vendor 0x06cb> at usbus0
ugen0.5: <Chicony Electronics Co.,Ltd.> at usbus0
Root mount waiting for: usbus0
Root mount waiting for: usbus0
[snip]
Root mount waiting for: usbus0
Root mount waiting for: usbus0
ugen0.6: <Unknown> at usbus0 (disconnected)
ums0: <Logitech USB Receiver, class 0/0, rev 2.00/12.01, addr 1> on
usbus0
ums1: <vendor 0x06cb product 0x2970, class 0/0, rev 2.00/0.08, addr
3> on usbus0
uhid0: <Logitech USB Receiver, class 0/0, rev 2.00/12.01, addr 1> on
usbus0

What possessed the laptop manufacturer to hang the Synaptics touchpad
device off a USB 3.0 controller is beyond me... I have problems booting
FreeBSD off USB 3.0 mass storage devices.

Hi,

Does your mouse only fail to work in X-org, or also the console?

Run "usbdump -i usbusX -f Y -s 65536 -vvv" to catch USB events for
ugenX.Y. That might give some further clues.

If using X.org, do you use hald or devd backend?

--HPS

It fails in both X-org and console.
In X, recently I've only been using devd.
When trying to use the command usbdump -i usbus0 -f 3 -s 65536 -vvv on
my touchpad (without any external usb receiver connected), nothing
happens at all. No left-click, no right-click, nothing.
However, if I insert an external USB receiver and then reboot the
computer, the touchpad works just fine in both console and in X-org.
If I now do the command above, since I've connected the receiver and
done the reboot, I get the following output (just note that during the
reboot, the address of the touchpad was changed from ugen0.3 to ugen0.4):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ktj757okcq61ljc/usbdump_i_usbusX_f_Y_s_65536_vvv.txt?dl=0