On 01/13/16 07:04, Mark Johnston wrote:
On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 09:41:01AM +0100, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
On 01/10/16 05:07, Mark Johnston wrote:
Hi,

I have the module listed here:
http://www.amazon.com/KEDSUM%C2%AE-CP2102-Module-Download-Converter/dp/B009T2ZR6W

Under Windows 8 it works perfectly, but on FreeBSD-CURRENT I get:

usb_alloc_device: set address 3 failed (USB_ERR_STALLED, ignored)
usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 3 failed,
USB_ERR_STALLED
usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=3, set address failed! (USB_ERR_STALLED, ignored)
usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 3 failed,
USB_ERR_STALLED
usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=3, set address failed! (USB_ERR_STALLED, ignored)
usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 3 failed,
USB_ERR_STALLED
usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=3, set address failed! (USB_ERR_STALLED, ignored)
usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 3 failed,
USB_ERR_STALLED
usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=3, set address failed! (USB_ERR_STALLED, ignored)
usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 3 failed,
USB_ERR_STALLED
ugen1.3: <Unknown> at usbus1 (disconnected)
uhub_reattach_port: could not allocate new device

It looks like this device should be handled by uslcom(4), but it looks
like we can't even get the device descriptor. How can I go about
debugging this?

Hi,

What does "usbconfig" say about your USB controllers?

Did you try to connect through an external USB HUB?

No, I don't have one handy. usbconfig shows:

ugen0.1: <XHCI root HUB 0x8086> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=SUPER (5.0Gbps)
pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen1.1: <EHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps)
pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen2.1: <EHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus2, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps)
pwr=SAVE (0mA)

Could you show what "pciconf -lv" says about xhci0. Sometimes you need to set a special routing register before some XHCI controllers work!

The log you show basically shows that the device is refusing to enumerate.

You can try adding "options USB_REQ_DEBUG" to GENERIC. Then you'll have
some more sysctl knobs under hw.usb which allows you to try to figure
out timing related issues.

I tried increasing several hw.usb.timings sysctl values but haven't had
any luck so far.

Which version of FreeBSD are you using?

CURRENT at r293678 with some local modifications. No changes to the USB
stack though.