On 2020-07-02 10:47, Jan Behrens wrote:
But wouldn't both drivers require access to the entries in /dev ?

Yes, user-space drivers would require access to /dev, yes, but kernel drivers not, like mouse, keyboard, storage, network.

Thus not every user could mess with any USB device, or do I get it
wrong?

A so-called composite USB device may appear like a USB storage device (kernel driver) and a security token (firefox). Firefox can only grab the device if you set the proper permissions for /dev of course, but the reset device IOCTL then also becomes possible, which is why we currently block it for non-root.

--HPS