Julian Elischer wrote:
sockets are a global resource that are assigned to vimages.
However the amount of sockets available are tunable.
how many are we talking about here?

100,000+ sockets. It seems to me like there is a need to be able to handle *many* open network connections as servers get more and more CPU cores, memory, and higher-speed network interfaces, but most people claim that it is very hard to get 100k open sockets working nicely on a single machine, even on a modern OS (though I've found a couple of people that say they can, also, on Linux systems). Ok if 65k sockets is the normal limit per process and per IP address, but for the whole OS, it just seems strange to limit things to 65k (or less).

 /Ragnar