Jamie Gritton wrote:
Jails will be able to exist without processes, and in fact with nothing
more than a vimage attached.

Ah that's what I was looking for.

But much of vimage only makes sense in
conjunction with processes - a process attached to a vimage can see that
vimage's network interfaces.  There are still things like routing that
work independent of processes I suppose, but it seems to me much what a
vimage does is provide the network stack to the processes it's tied to.

Yet, VIMAGE is very similar in concept with VRF
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VRF) and I think
FreeBSD will look very promising in router-like
applications:)

Maybe there are applications of VIMAGE which
haven't been considered by its developers.
Time will tell...

Nikos