>  I am having trouble getting ppp to work within vimages.  Without vimages,
>> my
>> box is able to connect (via vr0 interface) and assign it to tun0.  With
>>

> Which version of FreeBSD are you using?

FreeBSD 8.0 RC3.  I upgraded it after experiencing some kernel panics with
7.1 (Thanks for the tip Julian!).  Seems to be working well so far.

>  vimages, I assign vr0 to it (continuing with the name vr0 instead of eth0)
>> and ppp cannot detect it therefore I am unable to request for an IP.  I am
>> wondering whether this is a limitation on vimages/jails running ppp.
>>
>> Here is the error I am receiving:
>>
>> Dec  1 09:24:53 n2 ppp[1481]: tun0: Warning: deflink: PPPoE: unknown host
>> Dec  1 09:24:53 n2 ppp[1481]: tun0: Warning: deflink: PPPoE: unknown host
>> Dec  1 09:24:53 n2 ppp[1481]: tun0: Warning: deflink: Device (PPPoE:vr0)
>> must bee
>> gin with a '/', a '!' or contain at least one ':'
>>

> This sounds more like if you had some special charater in the config
> file somewhere?

My ppp.conf has the line "set device PPPoE:vr0".  So I do not believe I am
putting in any extra characters.  Adding the '/', '!', or ':' doesn't seem
to work either.  vr0 is just the name of my interface.

>  Dec  1 09:24:53 n2 ppp[1481]: tun0: Phase: deflink: Enter pause (0) for
>> redialinn
>> g.
>>

>> Here is my ppp.conf:
>>

> which I just started inside a vimage (with a different interface name)
> and it started just fine in -foreground, even though I don't have a
> single netgraph module loaded (in base system).

Interesting.  Perhaps there is a conflict with netgraph.

>  I also attempted to assign tun0 to a vimage, but it seems to lose its IP.
>>

> What you would do if you have ppp running in base and want the data
> inside a vimage is to use a bridge.  If you move an interface between
> network stacks basically all upper layer configuration is reset and
> initialized as if the interface was just created.

Ah, I overlooked that.  So the result in that case is correct.

I've also attempted to use mpd with no luck.  It seems mpd specifically
calls command '/sbin/ifconfig' and checks for vr0 and it does not find it.
This is likely because it is looking in the base image instead of within my
vimage.