Marius NĂ¼nnerich wrote:
On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 04:48, Tim Daneliuk <> wrote:
On 12/18/2009 8:16 PM, Peter wrote:
I have a machine running Win/XP Pro SP3 hosting VirtualBox 3.1.

The hardware happily boots the Ubuntu amd64 CDROM natively and FreeBSD 8.0
also boots fine - well ... up to the point where it has to ID the hard
drive, but that's another story.

IOW, the hardware is 64-bit capable (It is an Intel mobo w/a Pentium-D
940 w/EMT64 option).

HOWEVER, when I run VirtualBox and try to install the 64 bit version
of FreeBSD in a VM, it get a "CPU doesn't support long mode" error
during the FreeBSD virtual booting process.  FreeBSD 8.0 i386 works

'Anyone run across this before and/or have a fix?

Do you have VT-x/AMD-v enabled? [in the BIOS and VBox for this VM]
Yup, but I wonder ... I'm running XP as the host which is 32-bit even though
the hardware is 64-bit capabale.  Could this be limiting what VirtualBox
can deliver?

Exactly. For 64bit guests the host has to be 64bit too afaik.

No, if hardware extensions are enabled then PAE is the only requirement for 32-bit hosts to run 64-bit guests.

According to Wikipedia ( some models of Pentium D have VT extensions and some don't. But then there's also the question of motherboard support.