On 21/12/2009 18:50, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
On 12/21/2009 4:42 AM, Ivan Voras wrote:
Marius NĂ¼nnerich wrote:
On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 04:48, Tim Daneliuk<tun...@tundraware.com>
wrote:
On 12/18/2009 8:16 PM, Peter wrote:
I have a machine running Win/XP Pro SP3 hosting VirtualBox 3.1.

The hardware happily boots the Ubuntu amd64 CDROM natively and
FreeBSD 8.0
also boots fine - well ... up to the point where it has to ID the hard
drive, but that's another story.

IOW, the hardware is 64-bit capable (It is an Intel mobo w/a Pentium-D
940 w/EMT64 option).

HOWEVER, when I run VirtualBox and try to install the 64 bit version
of FreeBSD in a VM, it get a "CPU doesn't support long mode" error
during the FreeBSD virtual booting process.  FreeBSD 8.0 i386 works
fine.

'Anyone run across this before and/or have a fix?

TIA,
Do you have VT-x/AMD-v enabled? [in the BIOS and VBox for this VM]
Yup, but I wonder ... I'm running XP as the host which is 32-bit even
though
the hardware is 64-bit capabale.  Could this be limiting what VirtualBox
can deliver?
Exactly. For 64bit guests the host has to be 64bit too afaik.
No, if hardware extensions are enabled then PAE is the only requirement
for 32-bit hosts to run 64-bit guests.

According to Wikipedia
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Pentium_D_microprocessors)
some models of Pentium D have VT extensions and some don't. But then
there's also the question of motherboard support.
Very strange.  I have tried this on two different motherboards and
neither works:

1) Win XP running on an Intel 945 mobo with a Pent D 940 which supposedly
    has VT support.

2) Ubuntu Karmic 64bit on a MSI P4M890 with a Pentium D 925 which may not
    have VT support.

Is the claim here that you cannot virtualize 64bit w/o VT support?  Certainly
you seem not to need it for 32 bit guests.
64bit guests require VT support :
http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/UserManual.html#intro-64bitguests

hth,

Jase.