On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Bernhard Froehlich <de...@bluelife.at> wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 21:31:45 +0100, Bernhard Froehlich wrote:
>> On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 08:30:01 -0600, Brandon Gooch wrote:
>>> I managed to completely miss your patch posted this thread, so I just
>>> gave it a try on bluelife's virtualbox-ose-kmod svn r1239; it's
>>> working well. I've started each of my guests with bridged networking
>>> to be sure, and I see no panic (or any other anomaly) during boot or
>>> normal operation.
>>> Do you have plans on merging the patch soon?
>> It's not committed because it doesn't work. What i have tested so far
>> is with stock 8.2-REL so without VIMAGE.
>> enabled VIMAGE option on stock 8.2-REL: bridging works fine
>> disabled VIMAGE option on stock 8.2-REL: crashes vm with an assert
>> Expression: !pPatchToGuestRec
>> Location  :
>> /usr/home/decke/blueports/emulators/virtualbox-ose/work/VirtualBox-4.0.4_OSE/src/VBox/VMM/VMMR3/PATM.cpp(116
>> 6) void patmr3AddP2GLookupRecord(VM*, _PATCHINFO*, uint8_t*, RTRCPTR,
> It looks like that assert is not related to the VIMAGE patch. Works
> fine now since half an hour.
>> Could someone with an VIMAGE kernel please test the patch? Just
>> configure a VM with bridging and let it transfer a few bytes. Once with
>> the option enabled and once disabled.

I've had a machine running a linux guest for almost a day, bridging
with a VIMAGE kernel, while capturing traffic on the virtual interface
(and performing a few other tasks) -- so far, so good. No panics, and
no anomalies.

I surely don't know what the above mentioned assert is about; I
haven't seen such a panic myself.