Hi List, et. al,

I'd like to share a FreeBSD package containing a new rc.d script that I've
written for make managing VIMAGE jails.

http://druidbsd.sourceforge.net/download/vimage-1.1.tbz

The FreeBSD package installs the contents of this patch:

http://druidbsd.sf.net/download/vimage_rc.20110831135736.patch

If you feel like participating in the discussion about said-patch, here's the
thread link:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-rc/2011-September/002422.html

However, this thread is for the discussion of the package and getting some
people to test the new script before it gets approved for HEAD.

First, a primer:

You'll need to ideally be running FreeBSD-8.1 or higher.
Next, at a minimum, you'll need a kernel with the:

        options VIMAGE

line added to the kernel configuration.

NOTE: You should also add "nooptions SCTP" (without quotes) if "include'ing"
GENERIC, or if working on a copy of GENERIC, simply find the "options SCTP"
line and comment it out as VIMAGE does not yet support SCTP.

Last, you'll need to do one of the following three things, either:

1. Add the following lines to your kernel configuration:

        options NETGRAPH
        options NETGRAPH_BRIDGE
        options NETGRAPH_EIFACE
        options NETGRAPH_ETHER
        options NETGRAPH_SOCKET

NOTE: Kernel will always support bridging.

2. or, instead, add the following lines to your /boot/loader.conf file:

        ng_bridge_load="YES"
        ng_eiface_load="YES"
        ng_ether_loader="YES"
        ng_socket_load="YES"

NOTE: Kernel will rely on modules loaded at boot time to support bridging.

3. or, instead, execute the following commands

        kldload ng_bridge
        kldload ng_eiface
        kldload ng_ether
        kldload ng_socket

NOTE: Must be executed each/every time you reboot.

Once that has been accomplished, you should verify that you can see your
Ethernet devices by executing:

        ngctl list

On a system with both a bge0 and an fxp0 interface, the above command produces
the following output:

There are 3 total nodes:
  Name: bge0            Type: ether           ID: 00000001   Num hooks: 0
  Name: ngctl4173       Type: socket          ID: 0000002e   Num hooks: 0
  Name: fxp0            Type: ether           ID: 00000002   Num hooks: 0

Once you've got that all set up, now you're ready to start making Vimages.

If you're familiar with managing jails, it's not much different. However, as a
refresher, I recommend checking out /etc/rc.conf.d/vimage after installing the
package. It will show you which options should be set to enable each feature
for each vimage.
--
Cheers,
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message and all
copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any manner; and
(iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware that any
message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and review by persons
other than the intended recipient. Thank you.