Hi Sree,

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 3:46 PM, sree.openwrk <sree.open...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Neel
> I tried to see if the problem is reproducible after the fix went in.
> Looks like I have landed in to another issue. Now when I start the guest vm,
> the host hangs and could only be rebooted. Since its not a crash I am not
> able to get a crash dump. Is this a known issue? Also is there a way I can
> config and get to kick off a trace using something lie a hw-watchdog or
> something?
>
> Reproduction steps-
> 1. I have 8gb memory and I have limited the host to see only 4gb.
> svas-fbsd# sysctl -a | grep hw.physmem
> hw.physmem: 3116384256
>
> output from dmesg-
> real memory  = 8589934592 (8192 MB)
> avail memory = 2999402496 (2860 MB)
>
> 2. I checkedout the latest code from
> svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/projects/bhyve. The revision number is 243326.
> The host has this image built out of this.
>
> 3.  These are the steps I followed, before starting the guest. Then it
> hangs.
>     a) kldload vmm
>     b) kldload if_tap
>     c) ifconfig tap0 create
>
> 4. I use the prebuilt tarball given at
> http://people.freebsd.org/~neel/bhyve/vm1.tar.gz.
>
> 5. I start the vm as ./vmrun.sh vm1 and it hangs after displaying the
> message "Launching virtual machine "vm1" with 768MB memory below 4GB and
> 2048MB memory above 4GB ..."

I am not 100% certain about this but it is simple enough to quickly verify.

We recently did away with the need for static partitioning of the
memory between the host and the guest. So, we end up asking for free
pages from the host and using them for guest memory. This means that
your guest is able to only allocate memory out of the 4GB you have set
aside for the host.

Can you reboot without the "hw.physmem" setting and see if you can
still reproduce the problem?

best
Neel