Environment:
(Host OS: Solaris 11.1)
VirtualBox 4.6.2 (r82870)
Guest: FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE (#0 r243825)
Gnome 2.32

I did a fresh install of FreeBSD 9.1 in VirtualBox. Runs fine so far and,
after capturing the mouse pointer on black screen, copy/paste works too.

Then I installed Gnome 2.32, following all the instructions at
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html#full-gnome.
Btw, "pkg_add -r gnome2" did not work.(??) So I had to compile.

Then I installed the guest additions, following all the instructions at
https://wiki.freebsd.org/VirtualBox, chapter "Installing Guest Additions
for FreeBSD guests". After the make, I called X -configure and moved a
modified copy to /etc/X11/xorg.conf as proposed, and performed all the
other things mentioned at that page.

Problem: Mouse is not operational in FreeBSD:
Gnome disabled and calling X, I get a black screen, the mouse pointer
disappears, and I also cannot capture it manually.
Gnome enabled, I get a proper gnome login screen after boot, the mouse
pointer is there, but does not affect something.

Extra attempts (no success / no harm):
in /etc/rc.conf: enabling hald, dbus, mouse.
in /usr/local/etc/hal/fdi/policy/ in addition to 90-vboxguest.fdi, adding
10-mouse-sysmouse.fdi from /usr/local/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor.

Remark: no mouse problems with other guests.

Any ideas, hints?

Norbert

$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X.org Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
        ModulePath   "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules"
        FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
        FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"
        FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/OTF"
        FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
        FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
        FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "dri"
        Load  "dri2"
        Load  "glx"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "vboxmouse"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "Monitor Model"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        ### Available Driver options are:-
        ### [arg]: arg optional
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "vboxvideo"
        VendorName  "InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH"
        BoardName   "VirtualBox Graphics Adapter"
        BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Card0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     1
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     4
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     8
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     15
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     16
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

$
$ cat /etc/rc.conf
hostname=""
ifconfig_em0="DHCP"
sshd_enable="YES"
moused_enable="YES"
ntpd_enable="YES"
# Set dumpdev to "AUTO" to enable crash dumps, "NO" to disable
dumpdev="AUTO"
##### Changes after installation
vboxguest_enable="YES"
vboxservice_enable="YES"
# vbox's timesync: default: enabled, conflicts with ntpd (see above)
vboxservice_flags="--disable-timesync"
# begin extra ---
hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"