HI Dan,

Yes, the current bhyve-manual has that as a step in the configuration
(http://bhyve.org/bhyve-manual.txt) which I guess is the culprit. I
guess I just didn't expect that side effect but admit to not spending
much time thinking about it first :-)

I think it was done that way since /dev/console will always work, whereas the tty line to use changed at one point when we cut over from the ISA uart device to the PCI uart device resulting in a different tty device being used. However, it looks like we may switch back to using a PCI-ISA bridge device and that will change things again :(

 For now, you can edit the stock /etc/ttys as follows:

-ttyu2  "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
+ttyu2   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   on  secure