I have been running VirtualBox in headless mode for a while on my home server. Its just running a single VM with Windows 2011 HomeServer (windows 2008 R2 based) as a file server I never did notice as there is very little CPU load that even though the guest is configured with 2 CPUs the load is never on more than 1 core of the 6 core AMD processor.

I only noticed this after being happy with performance and stability of this setup, I migrated my laptop over to FreeBSD with VirtualBox to run Windows 8 in a VM, (yes I still have to run Windows for some things at work) however now that I am actually trying to do some interactive work in the VM I noticed it was a bit sluggish. And this is when I discovered that the Intel Core i7 QUAD core CPU was cranking away on one core while the others were sitting idle. I had configured the VM with 4 CPUS to match those of the host, am I missing some setting? Or is VirtualBox limited to one thread when running on a FreeBSD host.

FreeBSD is running 9.1p4 compiled from source using Clang with virtualbox-ose-4.2.16_2 installed from ports, with the following options set.

# This file is auto-generated by 'make config'.
# Options for virtualbox-ose-4.2.16_2
_OPTIONS_READ=virtualbox-ose-4.2.16_2
_FILE_COMPLETE_OPTIONS_LIST=DBUS DEBUG GUESTADDITIONS NLS PULSEAUDIO QT4 UDPTUNNEL VDE VNC WEBSERVICE X11
OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=DBUS
OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=DEBUG
OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=GUESTADDITIONS
OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=NLS