Hi Rob,

Bhyve generates the following error after the bootloader screen:

Booting...
4 vCPUs requested but only 1 available

What this means is that the model of CPU that you have doesn't support the "unrestricted guest" feature, which allows a guest to run in 16-bit mode.

bhyve boots FreeBSD directly into 64-bit mode on the main CPU, but secondary CPUs are started through a boostrap from 16-bit mode to 64-bit mode. There was a hack early on in bhyve to avoid this by starting the secondaries directly in 64-bit mode, but it was bhyve- and FreeBSD-specific and difficult to maintain. Given that there was only a small timeframe of CPUs that supported EPT but not unrestricted guest (early Nehalems), we decided to the 64-bit AP spinup.

 You can still run single vCPU guests though.

The Virtualbox logs below show EPT in use:

On the issue of running VBox and bhyve at the same time: that's not recommended and will probably result in a crash. To do this requires cooperation from hypervisors in that they will completely flush state any time they could be context-switched away to avoid the other hypervisor's state from colliding. This results in poor performance which is why it usually isn't done by default.

 I think we know how to fix this in bhyve, but aren't there yet.