One way to get around this is to start bhyve under tmux/screen.

Its what I've been doing for now, but even in tmux one might want to
exit the console similar to with we do with Xen.

I quite like how Xen does it. bhyve will hopefully have something similar soon.

Also is there any way to list running guests?

  ls /dev/vmm/*

I guees it works for now, I notice that ps also shows some info,
acttualty it shows the process with the full arguments!

Try 'top' with the H option - it will show the individual vCPU and i/o worker threads.