Hi Craig,

I notice that in BHyve, if I try to do "shutdown -p now",
there is an ACPI error:

Halting and powering down...
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `vnlru' to stop...done
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `bufdaemon' to stop...done
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `syncer' to stop...at
Syncing disks, vnodes remaining...0 done
All buffers synced.
Uptime: 17s
acpi0: AcpiEnterSleepStatePrep failed - AE_NOT_FOUND

The operating system has halted.
Please press any key to reboot.

Is that a known issue?

Yes. bhyve doesn't advertise sleep/power states so it can't deal with an attempt to invoke ACPI methods to enter those.

But, we should probably be able to put something in the DSDT that will force an exit.

Is there another way to trigger a BHyve VM to shutdown from
inside the VM?  Right now I need to "bhyve --destroy --vm=myvm".

 reboot and halt will both work fine.