On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 16:11:53 -0800
Marc Fournier <scra...@hub.org> wrote:

> On Dec 2, 2013, at 16:08 , Peter Grehan <gre...@freebsd.org> wrote:
> > Hi Marc,
> >
> >> I just read through http://bhyve.org/bhyve-manual.txt, and one
> >> thing that doesn’t seem to be supported (or, I’ve missed it) is
> >> HeadLess support … I get the impression that using this on a
> >> remote server isn’t currently possible, or am I missing something
> >> in the docs?
> >
> > It is. The easiest is using the recent change (r258668) which
> > allows bhyveload and bhyve to direct output to a tty instead of
> > just stdio.
> ‘k, that would work … so *if* I’m reading the docs right, the intiial
> build of the file system / install of guest OS, happens on an
> interactive remote ssh session, then I’d shutdown and restart it
> redirecting output … ?
> I’m plannin gon building a 10.x system over Christmas to start
> playing with this, just trying to do as much research as possible
> before …
> thx

Even though it's not the official solution, my little bhyve-rc script
works reliably (requires sysutils/tmux). You can basically "tmux attach"
into your session anytime. It also provides bhyve_guest for a clean
shutdown of FreeBSD guests (a workaround until bhyve can inject the
necessary acpi instructions to trigger a shutdown). I've been using it
for half a year now and it gets the job done. You can find it here

Please share your experience with the changes in r258668,
quite interested if this works ok for you.

Michael Gmelin