Hi Aryeh,

When I was playing with bhyve-grub a while ago I noticed there seemed to be
little difference between ahci-hd and "raw" (if no format it given besides
just naming a md file).  Is it safe to treat the two formats
interchangeably in bhyve (and bhyve-grub)?  Can I do this to the point of
mixing and matching them on instances created with both (i.e. boot with
ahci on a raw image and vice versa)?

Not quite sure what you mean here: ahci-hd is a device emulation (as are ahci-cd and virtio-blk). The backend for these is either a disk image on a filesystem or a block device.