> I am running:
> uname -a
> FreeBSD ****.** 10.0-RELEASE-p7 FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE-p7 #0: Tue Jul 8
> 06:37:44 UTC 2014
> r...@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
> amd64
> I have followed the instructions in the handbook to successfully install
> and run Debian 7.6.0 64 bit on the host.
> When trying to run Ubuntu Server 14.04.1 64 bit, after successfully
> completing the installation, I run into an error where bhyve exits. The VM
> goes through the boot process and this is the message when it exits:
> vm exit rdmsr 0x611, cpu 0
> Any insight on the error?

Yes: the Ubuntu kernel is attempting to read the 'package energy status' MSR, which is unsupported in bhyve.

In 10-STABLE and CURRENT, there is a new option, "-w", which ignores attempts to read/write unimplemented MSRs. The option made it into 10-STABLE on Apr 8, svn change r264273.

 You'll have to upgrade to pick up this option.