On 2014-11-12 23:55, Allan Jude wrote:
On 2014-11-12 16:39, ti...@openmailbox.org wrote:
Hi!

In order justify giving energy to BHyVe, I need to know if it's
"future-proof" in that the 16 vCPU limit can be increased?

Please let the world know if BHyVe's 16 vCPU limit can be lifted in some
way, by configuration, patch, etc. (and if you want to, why this limit
is in place by default today).

Thanks!!
Tinker

You can increase the limit by editing sys/amd64/include/vmm.h

#define VM_MAXCPU       16

From what I've been told, things scale badly above 24 CPUs. They plan to
solve this issue, but have not yet. If you system has enough cores to
support using more than 16 per VM, you can modify the file and recompile
the kernel and use as many CPUs as you want, but not much testing has
happened with bigger numbers.

Dear Allan,

Thank you very much for responding.

Aha, great!

Only for completeness, do you have any particular idea about
* When the scaling above 24 vCPU:s will be optimized, like approx how many years away is it (like 1 or more than 1)?, and * What the technological reason for the scaling is, is it that somehow the BHyVe instances on the different cores need to inter-communicate, for instance that all disk and network IO is done via one single core currently?

In all cases, your response is great news, as your baseline answer that it's doable and only a question of optimization and tweaking of present functionality -

Thanks again!
Tinker