On 2014-11-16 12:54, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
> On 16-11-2014 0:59, Peter Grehan wrote:
>> Hi Willem,
>>
>>> I'm trying to run one of my older VM's and get the crash below in the VM
>>> when trying to boot...
>>>
>>> This happens both on an older BSD:
>>> FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT (FREETEST) #1 r273066M: Sun Oct 19 00:59:06 CEST
>>> 2014
>>> As well as on a very recent:
>>> FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT (BHYVE00) #0 r274490M: Fri Nov 14 02:42:43 CET 2014
>>>
>>> The older 10.0 VM's do boot normally
>>>
>>> Any suggestions on what this might be, and/or how to debug this..
>>
>>  Did the disk image backing file change by any chance ? e.g. from file
>> to zvol ?
>>
>>  What's the version of the VM that has the issue ?
>
> Not sure what you mean by that exactely, but the VM runs a relatively
> old HEAD:
>
> FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #1 r262690: Sun Mar  2 21:28:19 CET 2014
> root@bhyve-head:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>
> It boots in single mode.
>
> I'tt try and manually assign an IP number and will see what that brings.
>
> --WjW

He is asking how the virtual disk is setup, specifically, if it is a zvol

Judging by the backtrace, the VM is panicing when trying to write to the
disk and it fails

From my experience, the two most likely causes are:

1) The disk is a zvol, and does not have the volmode set, and GEOM on
the host is grabbing the disk and locking it, preventing writes

2) The VM was shutdown ungracefully and the file system needs a fsck.
Since you can get into single user mode, this should be doable.

--
Allan Jude