From: "Neel Natu" <neeln...@gmail.com>
To: "Susan Stanziano" <susan.stanzi...@xinuos.com>
Cc: freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2014 9:15:19 PM
Subject: Re: vmrun.sh error

Hi Susan,

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 5:05 PM, Susan Stanziano
<susan.stanzi...@xinuos.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Craig suggested that I send this question to this mail alias:
>
> A couple of comments after creating VM's and using the vmrun.sh in
> /usr/share/examples/bhyve/vmrun.sh:
>
> 1) I know you can't run two VM's at the same time with the same vmname, but
> the error message from bhyveload is not informative to a new user:
>
> bhyveload: could not open "vmname"
>
> 2) The solution with the multiple use of a vmname seems to be that after
> vmrun.sh issues the bhyvectl --destroy command, if there was a "sleep 1"
> added, giving time for the destroy, the error message from bhyveload wouldn't
> have to happen.
>
> What do you think?

I think the issue you are hinting at is that if /dev/vmm/testvm exists
there isn't a reliable way to know whether or not 'testvm' is actually
"running". There is no good way to fix this until we get to a single
process model.

However, you know for sure that if '/dev/vmm/testvm' does not exist
then it is also not running.

So, perhaps the following patch fixes your problem:
https://people.freebsd.org/~neel/patches/vmrun_destroy.patch

best
Neel