On 5/17/15 3:01 AM, Peter Grehan wrote:

My rough plan to move forward with this is that any new non-virtio NIC emulation will get the FreeBSD OUI and perhaps a different default algorithm. virtio-net will continue to use the existing one, but maybe in the future a "legacy-mac" option will be required to use the old algorithm, and then it can be phased out.

Yet another option is an auto-generated MAC is placed in a config file on first boot, ala VMWare. That could be the solution when config file work arrives.
I generate my macs based on the inode number of the root image. (through a lookup-file..)