On 2015-06-02 12:16, Andriy Gapon wrote:
On 02/06/2015 17:51, Peter Grehan wrote:
Hi Andriy,

I am very new to bhyve, so sorry if I am asking something silly or obvious.
I am using bhyve to speed up my testing and it seems that each time I need to
restart a VM I need to go through the cycle of destroying it with bhyvectl
--destroy, then re-loading a kernel with bhyveload and then actually booting the
VM with bhyve.  It seems that I have to do this even if I don't change th kernel
between reboots.  My first naive impression was that the point of bhyveload was
to load the kernel once.  Seems it ain't so?

  bhyveload does the job of what BIOS/boot0/1/2/loader would do on real h/w, so
it has to be executed each time on restart.

  One optimization to the cycle you mentioned is that bhyvectl --destroy only
has
to be done when the VM is no longer needed i.e you can loop with
bhyveload/bhyve.

I see now.  Thank you very much!

BTW, and probably you are already aware of this, the documentation could use
some work :-)  I noticed at least the following:
- bhyvectl is not documented
- bhyve(8) and bhyveload(8) refer to vmm(4), which does not exist
- bhyveload(8) does not mention that -d can be used multiple times
- bhyve(8) has at least one incorrect reference to bhyveload(*4*)
- bhyve(8) mentions vmnet - does that exist?

But these are very minor things. bhyve rules :)

vmnet does exist, it is a type of tap, I'll get it hooked up as an alias to the tap man page.

--
Allan Jude