On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 09:53:53AM +0000, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
> Hi,
>
> removed hackers, added virtualization.
>

> > On 12 Jun 2015, at 01:17 , kikuc...@uranus.dti.ne.jp wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I’m (still) trying to figure out how jail-aware SysV IPC mechanism should
> > be.
>
> The best way probably is to finally get the “common” VIMAGE framework into
> HEAD to allow easy virtualisation of other services.  That work has been
> sitting in perforce for a few years and simply needs updating for sysctls I
> think.
>
> Then use that to virtualise things and have a vipc like we have vnets.  The
> good news is that you have identified most places and have the cleanup
> functions already so it’d be a matter of transforming your changes (assuming
> they are correct and working fine; haven’t actually read the patch in
> detail;-)  to the different infrastructure.  And that’s the easiest part.

I have not looked at vimage too closely, maybe indeed it's the right to
go. Would definitely be interested in seeing it cleaned up and in
action.

In the meantime, as I tried to explain in the previous thread, a
jail-aware sysvshm poses several questions which need to be
answered/taken care of before it can hit the tree. I doubt any
reasonable implementation can magically avoid problems they pose and I
definitely want to get an analysis how proposed implementation behaves
(or how it prevents given scenario from occuring).

Fundamentally the basic question is how does the implementation cope
with processes having sysvshm mappings obtained from 2 different jails
(provided they use different sysvshms).

Preferably the whole business would be /prevented/. Prevention mechanism
would have to deal with shared address spaces (rfork(2) + RFMEM),
threads and pre-existing mappings.

The patch posted here just puts permission checks in several places,
while leaving the namespace shared, which I find to be a user-visible
hack with no good justification. There is also no analysis how this
behaves when presented with aforementioned scenario. Even if it turns
out the resut is harmless with resulting code, this leaves us with a
very error-prone scheme.

There is no technical problem adding a pointer to struct prison and
dereferencing it instead of current global vars. Adding proper sysctls
dumping the content for given jail is trivial and so is providing
resource limits when creating a first-level jail with a separate
sysvshm. Something which cannot be as easily achieved with the patch in
question.

Possible later switch to vimage would be transparent to users.

--
Mateusz Guzik <mjguzik gmail.com>