> On Jan 4, 2016, at 9:32 AM, James Lodge <ja...@lodge.me.uk> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I'm just getting started with Bhyve. So far everything is working as
> expected. My original goal was to be running Ubuntu 12.04 i386 as I need it
> for a particular project. One issue I'm having is MAC address spoofing. I'm
> aware I can change the MAC address within Ubuntu but I'd like to configure
> the tap interface from the host which should be possible according to man
> pages.
> Bhyve Man Page: https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=bhyve&sektion=8
> The issue I have is that by setting the below, the vm boots, I can console
> via null modem, but there is no eth0 interface, only the loopback. Removing
> the static MAC, reboot and everything is present and correct.
> -s 2:0,virtio-net,tap0,mac=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

It looks like you are setting the MAC correctly on your bhyve command line and
bhyve is running; so far so good. Is it possible that Ubuntu has a different
MAC saved for its idea of eth0 and is therefore not doing what you expect?
(Perhaps udev is renaming the device?)

Can you run these two commands within the VM and post the output?
 ip link show