On 2016-01-26 8:13 pm, Sergey Manucharian wrote:
Excerpts from dweimer's message from Tue 26-Jan-16 19:07:

Is there anything that normally needs to be done after a Linux kernel
update to refresh the grub2-bhyve setup?

The kernel update should not have any effect since grub-bhyve uses the
virtual disk mapping file, which should point to your linux drive.

I'm using the following command:

$ sudo grub-bhyve -m /path/to/device.map -r hd0,msdos1 -M 1024M debian

where "device.map" contains the following:

(hd0) /dev/zvol/zroot/linuxdisk1
(cd0) /stuff/vm/bhyve/debian/debian-testing-amd64-2015-11-30.iso

"hd0" can be a real disk device, e.g. /dev/sda, or an image file (in
my case it's a ZFS volume).

How do you use that VM in VBox? If it's a .vdi file, bhyve will not be
able to recognize it. You should use a raw HDD image file. To make it
compatible with VBox you can create a .vmdk file pointing to that raw
image.

--
Sergey

I am back to testing again, copied my ZFS Boot Environment over to a VMware virtual machine, renamed it and changed IPs, removed the virtual box stuff, and enabled bhyve.

I did some searching and found out that I was using https://github.com/churchers/vm-bhyve to manage the bhyve virtual machines starting and stopping. Sticking with zvol for disk backing, I know its less portable.

I have been able to install a couple of debian virtual machines and play around with them. So far I have been unable to duplicate the issue I had before. My current issue which maybe related to running inside a VMware virtual machine. Is the Linux hwclock and system clock sync issues. If I power off the vm and reboot it it believes that the disk was modified in the future and appears to hang. Its actually doing a fsck I just don't see status if you wait long enough it finally does come up.

Has anyone else ran into this issue? I have actually ran the hwclock -systohc --utc prior to powering down and still had the issue. Tried changing the hwclock to system time by excluding the --utc from the command no change. Incidentally whether I use the --utc or not the hwclock --show always displays the local time. I couldn't seem to find any documentation on bhyve whether or not I should tell the guests that the hwclock is in utc or local time.

--
Thanks,
   Dean E. Weimer