Hi Roman,

On 04/13/16 13:55, Roman Bogorodskiy wrote:
  Q1: Is there a way to know if a guest reacted to power button but
      waiting for the bhyve process to terminate?

I just signal repeatedly $bhyve_pid until it's gone.

For what it's worth, I use this /etc/rc.shutdown.local:

PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin
# shutdown VMs
for sig in TERM KILL; do
        for f in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10; do
                cmds=`killall -${sig} -q -s bhyve | sed 's/$/;/'`
                test -z "$cmds" && exit
                sh -c "$cmds"
                sleep 1
        done
done

When a VM is hang, it won't respond to TERM, so you might
want to use something like, 'for sig in TERM HUP KILL'.

It works ok in my experience and I do have some VMs running Java
which take a while to shutdown. Our VMs usually shut down within one
or two seconds, the Java ones need more but still within ten seconds
everything is gone. Experiment a bit and give it enough time to
shutdown gracefully and if it's still alive SIGHUP $bhyve_pid.

HTH,
Nikos