Colleagues,

>I like bhyve very much, and have sucessfully run FreeBSD and Ubuntu
>16.04 server in FreeBSD 10.3 bhyve, with vm-bhyve as a shell.
>Now I am trying to boot Windows 7 but have not succeeded so far.

>However there are things I don't quite understand. A couple of questions, if
>you allow.

>1. Why is it that for some guest systems, there are two stages: first
>bhyveload or grub2-bhyve and then bhyve itself. And for UEFI systems there is
>>only one stage.  Does it mean that eventually bhyveload and grub2-bhyve will
>become totally obsolete and the one-stage VM startup procedure >will become
>the universal method?

Originally the quickest and easiest way to get guests running on bhyve was to
load the guest into memory "manually", then run it. This started with just
bhyveload to load FreeBSD guests, then expanded to supporting various other
guests with grub-bhyve. UEFI was required to get Windows running (and makes
bhyve act a bit more like other hypervisors) but took a lot of effort.

UEFI does seem to be the best way to run most guests. Linux guests have always
been a bit finicky unless they have grub2 installed, and the ability to get
remote access to the console makes things like a bhyve web frontend feasible.

Bhyveload is still a pretty quick and useful way to run FreeBSD guests though,
and I don't think that or grub-bhyve will go anywhere.

>2. All this fbuf/VNC stuff looks cool, but I don't quite understand. You can
>see the guest OS's console in VNC, like the Windows desktop, or only >the UEFI
>shell, and then you have to access the guest OS via RDP/ssh etc ?

With the frame buffer enabled you see the full guest OS in vnc, same as you
would in Virtualbox/VMWare/etc.

Matt