> On Jan 22, 2018, at 11:38 AM, Paul Vixie <p...@redbarn.org> wrote:
>
> i've used zfs for this, but i have to shut the guest down to do it. i'm using
> zvols for my guest system disks, so it's
>
> shut the guest down (maybe just to single-user mode)
> make a zfs checkpoint
> start the guest back up
> zfs send the checkpoint
>
> this also assumes that the sync-destination is a cold spare, sitting in its
> shutdown state until needed.
>
> for live sync you'll have to run software inside the guest that knows how to
> properly freeze state. for example if there's a live database of any kind
> you'll want it to be in its quiet state before you sync from it. in those
> situations, i do use rsync.
>
> bhyve could conceivably offer a feature to export the guest RAM, and with a
> little page-stealing, this could be made into an incremental sync feed. but i
> predict it would be enormous in size for any non-trivial guest.

Just for reference, I’ve had good experiences with zrep for keeping ZFS file
systems synced.  You can cron it pretty much as often as you want and it’ll
handle snapshotting, sending, and cleaning up of snapshots on both ends in a
sane and safe manner.  It only helps with the ZFS sync part of this issue, but
its pretty good at that.

http://www.bolthole.com/solaris/zrep/ <http://www.bolthole.com/solaris/zrep/>