Hi all,

> Am 11.03.2019 um 18:04 schrieb Mark Raynsford via freebsd-virtualization
> <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>:
> Leaving aside userland monitoring tools such as Prometheus[0], is there
> any way to detect on the host that a guest kernel running in bhyve has
> booted? I'm assuming "booted" in this sense to mean "PID 1 has probably
> started". I'm guessing that there probably isn't, but I thought I'd
> better ask anyway. "Not booted" would mean something like "Is sitting
> at the Grub prompt doing nothing“.

The abandoned FreeNAS Corral release did have guest additions
that served as a simple health monitor for FreeBSD and Linux
guests.

They used virtio_console(4) and the last state of the project can
be found here:
https://github.com/freenas/freenas-vm-tools

They compile cleanly on FreeBSD 12 and I even made a port that
I submitted to iX Systems, but we all know what happened to
Corral, unfortunately.

Possibly they can serve as a starting point for a new project.

And then there seems to be a newer version, again from FreeNAS,
written in Go:
https://github.com/freenas/bhyve-vm-goagent

HTH,
Patrick

--
punkt.de GmbH                   Internet - Dienstleistungen - Beratung
Kaiserallee 13a                 Tel.: 0721 9109-0 Fax: -100