interface=wlan0
driver=bsd
ssid=CACHEBOY_11N_1
wpa=3
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_passphrase=Sysinit891234
wpa_pairwise=CCMP
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd

This is known to work. I think you're missing driver=bsd ?

Thanks, that did make a difference! :)
I'm running a transfer to provoke the issue as I'm writing this using:

options         SCHED_4BSD              # BSD scheduler
#options        SCHED_ULE               # ULE scheduler
#options        PREEMPTION              # Enable kernel thread preemption

device          ath             # Atheros pci/cardbus NIC's
device          ath_pci         # Atheros PCI device glue
device          ath_hal         # pci/cardbus chip support
device          ath_ar5416      # AR5416 chips
options         AH_SUPPORT_AR5416
options         ATH_ENABLE_11N
options         ATH_DEBUG
options         ATH_DIAGAPI
options         AH_DEBUG
options         AH_PRIVATE_DIAG

device          ath_rate_sample # SampleRate tx rate control for ath